March 2020


Covid_19
Covid_19

Well… what a weird month this has been! Firstly I hope anyone who is reading this is safe and well. Keep away from each other, keep your heads high and we’ll get through this. A lot of builders are actually using this time to do some work on their builds which is fantastic!

Restraining Bolt
Control System Guide

I have spammed nearly every single droid building forum and Facebook group asking for help with this and it’s finally done. Something that I see quite a lot of new builders getting put off when it comes to electronics as well as people mostly suggesting the same control system because it’s “easy and cheap”. Whilst that is a good thing it can be a pain in a way because the cheaper and easier systems to set up aren’t always the best. There are plenty of control systems out there that get left in the dark which may be more suited to people's needs.

You can read my guide here - https://www.robsr2d2build.co.uk/ControlSystemV1.0.pdf

Car Window Sticker
Car Sticker

So as you may or may not know, I passed my driving test in December and got a car, from which I was able to attend the Builders Meet hosted by Mark Leigh which was great. Since I'll be driving my droid around now I felt I had to get something for my car that allowed me to let me know I'll be unloading and loading droids. I present this wonderful car window sticker by Mike Berry - Vinyl Designs

New Leg
Leg Work

Not only did I manage to print something, I decided enough was enough and it started doing what I could. That said I took R2 even more to bits and took one of his legs out to the shop and went to work. Removing the awful 3D prints was the first step, since they were printed before I changed my hot end out, they were pretty brittle already so they snapped straight off.

Next thing was removing the paint, went with some Nitromors in the end as trying to sand the paint off was just screwing up my sandpaper. I nipped out and purchased some 80 grit sandpaper and once I'd scraped the paint off, or at least as much as I could, I sanded the rest and it was extremely satisfying watching all those imperfections get removed. Used some of the car body filler to fill in all the chips and dents and what not and kept on sanding. His first leg is now very smooth and I'm am tempted to wrap it in styrene as well just for an extra smooth finish, at least that way if I want to change the colours I can just remove the styrene if I don't want to paint it and then all I have to do is clean up the glue on the wood from the styrene.